Thursday, June 16, 2011

Vintage Sewing Case

 When I found this suitcase  I didn't know how I would use it, but after a few days I knew what I was going to do with it. It has now become my sewing case. When I'm working on a project I like to hangout in the same room with my family so this allows me to carry the necessities with me.I
I found this suitcase at the local antique store for $7.50, the case was a little beat up on the inside so I decided to tear it out and start from scratch.




After tearing out the lining, I used a cardboard box and a vintage sheet to fashion a new lining that would become a peg board for my sewing tools.


I used some paint that was left over from my daughters room redo to spruce up the interior. Then all I needed to do was add some pretty fabric, a box to hold piece work, bottles to hold pins, and a pin cushion. Finally, after a day of work and $8.50 my sewing case was complete. Now onto the larger suitcase.

22 comments:

  1. Oh I sooooooooooooooo love this. I have several vintage cases of my late in-laws, what a fab way to make them into something very useful.

    Blessings

    Gail

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love this! I was just looking at some old lugage today at a resale shop and could not decide what I would do with it so I left it behind. Might go back to pick it up next week, not much business at this shop I think it will still be there.

    ReplyDelete
  3. this is wonderful, I saw it pinned via a party but came over to pin directly from your site! what a great idea, I am a huge vintage suitcase fan and I need to make one of these, if I get it done, I promise to credit you in the post for such an amazing idea!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is so cool. I love to watch tv with my family and hem or fix zippers at the same time. I am definitely going to copy your superb idea! Bravo!

    ReplyDelete
  5. How did you attach the elastic bands to the top?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I sewed them , before attaching the board.

      Delete
  6. Lovely idea. I came over to you from Jenny of Elephantz. Great idea.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm visiting from a link on Jenny of Elephantz. What a great way to repurpose a vintage suitcase. We travel a lot so this would be perfect for me to take along. I'm going to have to start looking for one of those suitcases.

    Oh and I tried to find your e-mail to ask but wasn't able to... would it alright if I pinned this on Pinterest?
    Wordpress doesn't play nice with blogger for replying to comments so here's my addy: supermomnocape at yahoo dot com. I totally understand if you would rather not have it pinned and will respect your decision.

    ReplyDelete
  8. You are welcomed to pin this.

    ReplyDelete
  9. What did you use to make the little ruffled like flowers that go all around it? I think this is an awesome idea!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's just a ribbon with flowers on it, I purchased it at JoAnns.

      Delete
  10. so cute - would make a great christmas gift... I see there is a price tag - do you sell these?? :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Love this - I actually have the perfect old suitcases for this proje ct:) and I really need a place to keep all my sewing notions/projects in one spot, yet mobile.
    Not sure if mine will turn out as pretty as yours, but I know it will be highly functional.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. PS - I will re-pin from here as the original source and link (if I decide to post about my project. Thanks again for the inspiration!

      Delete
  12. How clever! It looks lovely and really useful.

    ReplyDelete